Friday, February 1, 2013

Write From Your Heart

I remember I was out at sea back in the seventies when I wrote my first short story (a real piece of crap) and my first poem (even worse). Interestingly enough the word got out on the ship that I wrote poetry. Some guys came by and checked out my poem (I didn't know them -- someone told them to give a looksy). After that these guys, and others, would drop by my rack to see what I'd written. I didn't know why they came. I threw away all of that stuff soon after I'd written it, but it came from my heart and some people enjoyed it -- I suppose they related to it. I should have learned the obvious lesson back then -- write from your heart and you'll attract people with what you have to say -- but it took God to show me how important this is in the life of any writer. Don't write from your head. Look inside and follow the voice of God.
I did a lot of praying before I wrote The Wonk Decelerator. I was afraid that I was going to start thinking way too highly of myself again. Jesus is so humble. He humbled himself to the point of death on a cross, and I was terrified that the old John would start strutting around again and lose my way. But this time I started seeking Him in my writing. It's been a totally different experience. I write about things that moved me.

Do you know that I received only one rejection for The Wonk Decelerator, and I was so glad it happened. That publisher was not for me. In the old days I had rejection after rejection, because my stuff was all from my head and I really didn't believe in it. Write from your heart. Sing from your heart. Act from your heart. Minister from your heart. Love your family from your heart. Don't be afraid to let go and love. Look inside and find your way. You can get to a place of faith in your life that is real joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment