Wednesday, February 13, 2013

A New Character

Not too long ago I ran into some trouble with the novel I'm working on, Revenge of the Crimson Witch. I wrote this scene with two characters fighting each other, nearly to the death, and I was just thrilled with the outcome of the scene. It was exciting just to write it! Well, a couple of days later I was studying my timeline and I realized that these characters couldn't possibly be on the same star ship together at this point in the story -- duh! One character was five days behind and there was no changing that fact without chucking most of the storyline (and the book is two-thirds done). So, I pulled the scene out and filed it away, hoping that maybe somehow I'd use it later.
Well, I needed someone to fight Maggie and I ended up with this new character. The really great thing is that with this new character came a new sub plot-line that added tremendously to the overall story. So by making a mistake the story actually got better, and deeper. I have to tell you that this sort of thing makes the writing experience great for me, and I wonder if the problems we face in life don't many times work out similarly with good things for us, if we let them. Think about it. Maybe it's not so bad. God can make it good.

No comments:

Post a Comment